Snapchat is the popular mobile app that allows you to send videos and pictures, both of which will self destruct after a few seconds of a person viewing them. Snapchat is also a fun messaging app. You can take a photo or a video with it, then add a caption or doodle or lens graphic over top, and send it to a friend.
The logo is named after rap group Wu Tang Clan’s Ghostface Killah.
How Snapchat works for users and advertisers: Snapchat Video
How to get started on Snapchat: Snapchat 101
Important demographics include:
- Snapchat has 100 million active daily users; $50 million revenue in 2015
- 10+ billion videos are viewed on Snapchat each day.
- 86% of Snapchat’s users fall into the 13 – 37 age range and 41% of all 18-34 year olds.
- Minimum budget for advertising on Snapchat recently droppedfrom $750,000 to $100,000.
- 5x higher “click thru rate”
10 Things You May Not Know About Snapchat’s Founders
1. Evan Spiegel and Bobby Murphy were undergrads at Stanford University
2. Evan interned at Red Bull
3. They had an earlier venture called Future Freshman which failed
4. FB’s “Poke” was supposed to rival Snapchat (after a meeting with Zuckerberg)
5. App started for dorm “Sexting”
6. Snapchat was originally called “Peekaboo”
7. Evan was sued for rights by a third partner and settled out of court
8. Spiegel is the bad-boy rich kid and Murphy has a monk-like reputation!
9. Took “youngest billionaire” distinction away from Zuckerberg
10. Rejected $3 billion offer from FB
Snapchat will soon be valued at $19 billion.
What’s New? March 2016 Update: see New on Snapchat
- Face Swap
- Snapchat Memories
- Added Bitstrips (paid $100 mil)
- Added Yext
- Emoji stickers for video
- Force Touch
- New Lenses
- New Filters
- New Rewind
Snapchat Marketing (see https://www.snapchat.com/ads)
- Snap Ads
- Sponsored Lenses
- Giving rewards and discount coupons
- Preview new products
- Inform on latest offerings
- Use background images/footage for promotions